Friday 24 March 2017

Shifting Silver by Brandon Witt



Pages: 49
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Buy links: Dreamspinner | Amazon | Amazon UK

The blurb

The year is 1618, and Allakau is different from the other members of the Alaskan Yupik tribe. His people survive by hunting, but Allakau is unable to kill or eat flesh. As another season reaches its end and winter approaches, Allakau encounters a narwhal with silver eyes similar to his own. He saves the creature’s life but incurs his father’s wrath, and Allakau is given one last chance to prove himself a productive part of the tribe or be left behind to die. As he spends time alone in the woods, clues about his past and destiny begin to fall into place with the aid of another silver-eyed creature. His hunt might finally lead him to the truth about what sets him apart and where he belongs—if he can survive it.

A story from the Dreamspinner Press 2016 Daily Dose package "A Walk on the Wild Side."

My thoughts

Sometimes you stumble across something special, a little gem of a story that fills your heart, feeds your soul, and leaves you fulfilled. Shifting Silver is such a story for me. I can’t think of a single thing in this story I don’t adore. Allakau is a wonderful protagonist and even better narrator. His struggle between remaining true to himself and doing what his family expects of him was real without ever becoming over dramatic. I’m so grateful that there were no truly horrid characters in this story. Allakau’s father’s decision may seem harsh, but even with him the reader knows he does what he believes is best for his son and their tribe, and he had no way of knowing differently.

The ending to this story was perfect and left me with a huge smile on my face. All too often when I read a short story like this one I’m left somewhat unsatisfied. Not this time. The whole story is here, nothing is missing. While I wouldn’t have minded spending more time with Allakau & co, I’m not sure more story would have improved this fabulous tale.


This is a magical story set in a mythical past. It talks about enduring love and soul mates and shared the most wonderful message: Being ‘other’ does not mean being less. The descriptions of nature and creatures are breathtakingly beautiful and vivid. I could almost feel the cold, see the snow, and touch the animals.  I’m so happy I read Shifting Silver; it was a wonderful reading experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment