Tuesday 3 January 2017

Apprentice in Death by J.D. Robb



In Death #43
375 pages
Library book

The blurb

Nature versus nurture... 
 
The shots came quickly, silently, and with deadly accuracy. Within seconds, three people were dead at Central Park’s ice skating rink. The victims: a talented young skater, a doctor, and a teacher. As random as random can be.

Eve Dallas has seen a lot of killers during her time with the NYPSD, but never one like this. After reviewing security videos, it becomes clear that the victims were killed by a sniper firing a tactical laser rifle, who could have been miles away when the trigger was pulled. And though the locations where the shooter could have set up seem endless, the list of people with that particular skill set is finite: police, military, professional killer.

Eve’s husband, Roarke, has unlimited resources—and genius—at his disposal. And when his computer program leads Eve to the location of the sniper, she learns a shocking fact: There were two—one older, one younger. Someone is being trained by an expert in the science of killing, and they have an agenda. Central Park was just a warm-up. And as another sniper attack shakes the city to its core, Eve realizes that though we’re all shaped by the people around us, there are those who are just born evil...

My thoughts

It is so much fun to pick up a book, lose myself in the story within a paragraph or two and nor resurface until I’ve read every last word contained between the covers. It is also something I don't get to do nearly often enough but, invariably that's what happens when I pick up a new instalment in JD Robb’s In Death series. That goes a long way towards explaining why this is the only series of books I’ve stuck with over the course of this many new stories. With most other series I’ll eventually reach a point where the ‘been there, done that, need something new’ feeling gets too strong and I find myself drifting away. Not so with the In Death series. Not only do I pick up the latest release as soon as it hits the shelves in my library, I actively keep track of when to expect the next one so I can be sure to bring it home as soon as it’s available. To say I’m addicted to Eve Dallas and Roarke would be a gross understatement.

As can be said for its 42 prequels, Apprentice in Death is a fast paced, thrilling, and totally engrossing story. JD Robb has, over the course of this series, created a cast of characters who have become part of my life. I know Eve, Roarke, Peabody, McNabb and all the others and have no doubt I would recognise them should I run into them in the street. The near future version of the world she’s created continues to fascinate me. As for the criminals she introduces us to, and their methods and motives…let me just say that Mrs. Robb occasionally scares me. She invariably manages to give her villains just about enough of a human face and almost reasonable motives, to put me on edge and keep me compulsively turning the pages.

While I thoroughly enjoy the mysteries and suspense in these stories they are not the main reason for my addiction to this series. I keep on returning to the In Death books because of the continuing story about Eve, Roarke and those close to them. I laugh out loud at the banter, occasionally wipe away a tear at an especially touching moment, enjoy Eve and Roarke’s sexy times, and will never get bored with getting to know these characters better which each subsequent tale. After having read all 43 novels in this series so far, I still can’t imagine there will ever come a moment when I won’t be looking forward to the next In Death title. I fully agree with Harlan Coben's blurb on the cover of this book. J.D. Robb's novels are indeed 'can't-miss pleaures'. Is it time for the next book yet?


No comments:

Post a Comment